Monday, February 2, 2009

January Herb of the Month: Astragulus Root

Greetings!

My apologies for the laxness, but with all of the new change ushering in 2009, I was swept away.

Astragulus (
Astragalus membranaceus)

When I started working at Smile I still suffered from mild attacks as a result of a 1998 diagnosis of ulcerative colitis. This chronic dis-ease is essentially an auto-immune disorder, where the colon does not function normally. A severe form of irritable bowel syndrome, it becomes "ulcerative" when blood loss becomes an issue. Upon supplementing daily with Astragulus root tea, I found that not only was I better able to manage the colitis, but I wasn't as sick for as long. Astragulus is known specifically for it's immunity boosting elements, but it also has other really great properties.

Traditional uses include the treatment of the following:

  • Colds and influenza
  • Persistent infection
  • Fever
  • Multiple allergies
  • Asthma
  • Chronic fatigue
  • Fatigue or lack of appetite associated with chemotherapy
  • Anemia
  • Wounds
  • Heart disease
  • Kidney disease
  • Hepatitis
  • Stomach ulcers

It is also used to treat general digestive disturbances, including diarrhea, gas, and bloating.

Astragulus root can be found as a loose herb, as a tincture and in capsule form. I have found that conitnued use in a tea form, really helps keep the immune system charged and makes it harder to get and if you do, stay sick. I found in the first two years of continued use, my normal seson of sickness, was reduced by 85% and my colitis was easier to control.

For more information click here.

No comments: