Saturday, January 5, 2008

The In Between: breaking the seal

It is the fifth day of January 2008. I am not ready. I have had a difficult time making the transition into the steady action I expected to have in the new year. I am definitely no longer in 2007, but '08 isn't solidified just yet. The hardest part has been the underlying anxiety that lurks when I am not paying attention. I realize that regardless of the calendar, I am move at my own speed. In recognizing this I am working slowly towards the new year. I think I'm almost there, but want a little more time to myself before I begin.

How do you move at your own pace in a world that decides when people are allowed to take a break. Ideally, the holidays served as a signal that things had slowed down, but with the new year upon us, its as if break time is over and we are just supposed to pick up and keep it moving. The odd thing is normally I don't have a problem with this, but as of late, it has been hard. Instead of resisting, I am accepting and making smaller to-do lists that can be accomplished in my hibernation state. Oddly enough, according to some recent research, I have found that I fall under the Bear category in Native American religion. I guess hibernation is appropriate for now.

No comments: