Monday, August 18, 2008

Brasil Diaries: Rewind to Boa Merte

So sorry, I just realized that I failed to upload my post about Boa Merte. There were serious internet problems in the hotel yesterday and so I typed everything out, with the intention of uploading today. After reviewing my thoughts, I have decided to just start fresh, so here we go....

Boa Merte is a three-day (that we know of) festival that takes place in August from the 13th-15th. The Sisterhood of Boa Merte are responsible for holding this festival which literally translates into "the festival of the good death". It commemorates those ancestors brought over to Brasil from Africa as slaves and the end of their suffering either by dying en route, during enslavement in Brasil, or surviving until the abolishment of slavery in 1888. Some of the key elements include the rituals that are conducted by the sisterhood which are not always public, a procession to the river that re-enacts the assumption of a Virgin Maryesque figure and specific details on clothing, food and jewelry. The ceremonies are amazingly syncretic with the marriage of Catholic and African religious practices and aesthetics. There is nothing I can write here that will replace seeing it for yourself, so go to Brasil and see it for yourself. Side Note: NOTHING beats dancing in the rain to a samba percussion band!

I will say that there is a heightened sense of duty and purpose. People gather from all over the world if for nothing else, than to be a part of this special time. I felt completely at home and all of the "coincidences" of the day were no more than examples of the synchronicity that can occur when spirit is given its full space to exist. The children were especially fascinating as they participated, dressed in ritual clothing. I think that what I loved most was the continuity. Every face I looked at, reminded me of a family member or friend. Language, ethnicity and "race", were not strong enough to divide us. We were one people on a mission.

Living in America where these types of practices are vilified, creates a schism that is sometimes hard to get over. It's like one is forced to live a double life. Much like who you are "at work" versus "at home", people's spiritual practices and selves are often fragmented. Brasil does not force that separation and I think that is why it has been so underwhelming in terms of what I expected. I am not different here. I am actually quite normal. No staring, no bindi questions, no comments or romanticizing, it and I-- just are. The ancestors roam free here and show up as they please. The little girl in the picture to the left, agreed to be photographed by me in a separate photo. When I drew closer to show her the photo, she just kept staring at me. She wouldn't leave my side, so I asked if we could taeke a picture together. She leaned into me as I kneeled down and a friedn snapped the photo. When I looked at the picture I didn't see the same little girl, but my sister Sofi who transitioned in 2001. All day long, I felt her presence. The picture, for me, was final proof that Sofi was there and had just as much fun as I did.

Tchau

1 comment:

Drea Thompson said...

the gifts we receive when we allow women to worship as they want, breathtaking, right??!!!!